"The Button Queen Ltd" has been trading for over 60 years.
Although now run by Martyn and Isabel Frith, the business was founded by Martyn's mother, Toni, who was an antique dealer in the 1950's. When her lease on her shop wasn't renewed, Toni resorted to trading on stalls at the Bermondsey and Red Lion Markets, where in the latter on Portobello Road she became one of the founders of what stall owners called the Collector's Corner. Due to the convenience in portability, Toni soon turned her attention from antiques to buttons, having to carry all stock on buses.
After remaining on stalls for a number of years, Toni's business (now operating as "The Button Queen") moved into it's first permanent shop at 1 Malborough Court, off Carnaby Street. Although confined to an area of just 5x8ft, Toni traded for a number of years in the small premises before moving to a larger shop on St Christopher's Place in 1967.
After 9 years of successful trading at St Christopher's Place, Toni moved into a new home on 19 Marylebone Lane, only across the road from where the business currently resides. It was here that Toni would leave the business and retire at the age of 65, leaving the running of the shop to Martyn and Isabel.
Number 19 Marylebone Lane
The opening of 76 Marylebone Lane in March 2009.